I left a dull lecture room remembering
little of what was discussed. The most memorable thing I took from that room
was the pretty blonde girl who sat opposite me. She stared uninterestedly into
space for the maority of the time. It was a peaceful stare and it hypnotized
me as she glanced lazily around the room. The only other thing I remember was the large moth that had become
trapped, it half beat and half fluttered against the window.
Leaving the building I walked past a small
stream that had been dry and dead for most of the year. Now its bed was soothed
by little torrent of water making its way down the course. I had never seen
this channel full, the water never flowed violently and I wondered how it had
ever managed to carve out this ditch amongst the stone and turf around it. It
was so small and seemingly unimportant to have marked the landscape in any
noticeable way but it had managed. Opposite, a great tree stood overlooking the
stream. Its declining leaves dripping with cool water from the rain that had
passed a few hours ago. Its bark was dark from the wet and softer now. I saw
these two things sit before me. The tree that was once so small, a mere seed
turned sapling and over the years it had grew formidable. The tenacious stream
flowing down from olive green forest, it had spent centuries, proprietarily marking
its territory in its channel. Behind all this was time. It was ceaseless. I
imagined it as a great wheel turning through the cosmos, dominating everything
in front of it. Its robust tires rolling over anything that got in its way. Yet
here I was with my minute life lasting so short. It would be but a fraction of
the great wheel’s turn. All my concerns seemed to fade as I realized my worries
were wasted. I worried about my course and about jobs, I was unsure about where
my life would take me and how I would survive. In that peaceful moment I found
solace. I was able to disregard all this nonsense that had been bashing about
my mind like that poor moth batting against the window in my lecture room. I
thought a great deal about time as I walked to get my bus. Concluding that, all
in all, I knew not much about time, I was too young still but that I would come
to know time all too well.
I went home happier that day; I was content
knowing that everything would work out fine in the end. It was just a matter of
time.
No comments:
Post a Comment