Monday, 15 July 2013

A memory at 4.39 in the mornin'


I love you

I fell in love with the way you read books
And we discussed them at length
Or you would tell me your favourite poem
And why it touches you
You thought and still think the same way I think
We had the same worries but together we still stumbled over the solutions
We didn’t talk about those all the time
Because for the most part we were too busy being happy
But sometimes late at night
It was almost fun to entertain them
It didn’t bore or depress you
Like me, you were just frustrated by it

It was so easy from the beginning
I had no choice but to fall in love with you
And youll remind me now of how I used to be
Covered in fronts, and stuck in cynical stuff
You knew opening up didn’t come easy to me
It took awhile but I was so comfortable in your slight hands

We’ll laugh and smile about the first time we met
In a dark room filled with a din and drunken dancing
We’d been dragged there by our friends
And had gotten drunk to make it bearable!
But spilling that drink on your slim tanned legs was the best thing iv ever done

Soon after you took my bad habits and you broke them in half
And finally allowed me to break those habits
Im so glad that I found you and even happier that I never lost you

We would lie awake and listen to music
We’d each play songs that meant something to each other
We wouldn’t lie when we spoke
And we’d tell each other things that meant something to us
As your light head would rest on my chest
You’d fall asleep and on those hot summer nights your hair would stick to your forehead
And I would watch you
It was everything I wanted
You are everything I ever wanted

We were never 100 percent right for each other
At times we weren’t 80 or even 50 percent right for each other
But nobody and nothing is perfect

Later down the line
I remember being awkward with you for the first time in years
It was like my words were too heavy
And I couldn’t lift them out from the back of my throat but I managed
I hoped that the time was right
On that orange autumn evening
I asked you to marry me in fading amber light
You said a three letter word
And I placed a ring on your finger
It was diamond-less and vintage
Cause that’s the way you would want it
I knew who you were

Months down the line
At a quiet ceremony, on a centre stage
We were bound together by the words and metal rings
We may as well have been bound together at that nightclub three years prior
With our fingers entwined I looked up at the black spires
Outside the church I was completely happy

And I remember our wedding night
We were matches, struck together, lit
It was passion

We’re older now
With kids grown up
They were always a pleasant distraction and we’ve always loved them
We don’t see them as much as we’d like at the moment
We had jobs, and money, but we never let us become something we’re not
We never surrounded ourselves with things
For, without speaking about it, we knew that they were disposable
Rather, we helped people
But not in a self satisfying way

And now wrinkled, looking almost nothing like we used to
I can say you look gorgeous today
Our love still grows and until death do us part, we are one.

….

But I wake up suddenly in this small dark room
That dream drifts slowly out my window to a star filled sky
The clock reads 4.39AM and im alone
I sit back and burst into tears
Im 20 years old and im lost
And I know I need her
But iv not met her yet.

1 comment: